[Menvi-discuss] musicology prep for next semester

Daniel danielgillen at rcn.com
Thu Jan 8 20:53:47 UTC 2015

Dear MENVI list members,

  I know I have posted to this list about past music courses I
was preparing to take in college.  Now as I am finish preparing
all my materials for the last required musicology credit needed
to complete my minor, I have a short list of scores that are not
available in any of the commonly used Braille music
databases/libraries.  These are mostly orchestral scores or opera
excerpts in which the music is orchestral.  Based on my research
on these pieces and the professor's preferences for something
which seems to exactly map onto the actual print score, I'm not
sure how helpful piano reductions would be of these large
orchestral arrangements.  The list is as follows:

-Dvorak, String Quartet in F, Op.  96
- Mahler, Symphony No.  1 in D (especially Mvt.  3)-the score of
the whole symphony appears to be more than 160 print pages)
- Wagner, Tannhäuser Rome Narration, from Tannhäuser Act III
("Inbrunst im Herzen")
- Wagner, Tristan und Isolde, Love Duet from Act II
("Liebesnacht")

Is it possible that any of you may have access to Braille
versions of these pieces? I have a good feeling that the Mahler
symphony might take up an essential part of the course given its
length and complexity.  If it simply does not exist in any form
or is too much of an undertaking to have transcribed somewhere, I
will make the professor aware of this.  Given that he has been
accommodating when I took his course last semester, he may be
able to change up the work inventory slightly to accommodate me
and the other students.  Any responses/suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daniel