[Menvi-discuss] Conducting advice

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 14:35:45 UTC 2014

Hi Kaiti,

Ok, I'm a vocalist, and my conducting class worked a little
differently, so I don't know how helpful I can be here.

If I understand this correctly, you can't follow the student
conductors.  Are you the only one on the clarinet part?  Do you have
the music in front of you when you guys have class?  I think verbal
cues are a great idea.  Also listening to a sense of the entire piece
so that you know where the other parts are supposed to come in.

When someone else is sconducting, you have to listen harder than you
maybe ever have.  You can tell in just 30 seconds if the conductor is
hesitant, taking a slow or irratic tempo, or if they are unclear.
That is, if you know the piece fairly well, you should with some
practicing get this vibe.  To be honest, if the rest of the class
won't do it perfectly, you not knowing exactly where to come in won't
hurt too much.  It's possible I don't understand your class situation
though.

Our class all sang, but I still remember struggling to follow the
student conductors.  The pieces were fairly easy though, and our class
was very small, so after a while, I knew who was conducting and could
also follow others in the class singing my part.