[Menvi-discuss] ipa notation

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 19:31:42 UTC 2014

Hi, Paula,

Julie brings up a great point.  Although I am not majoring in voice,
my voice teacher at school uses IPA with her students to teach proper
pronunciations.  For me, she thought it would just be more practical
to learn the sounds, like one would learn syllables and sounds for
another language.  Perhaps this is different, for example if he's
vocal performance, but if he's in something like music ed where
knowledge of how to teach the sounds will be more important than
knowing how to use the braille IPA code, then maybe that approach will
work.  And, if Julie was able to go through a vocal performance degree
without learning IPA, perhaps it still wouldn't be very practical even
if he is performance as well.

Another alternative might be to have him write out the sounds for
diction.  I've done this when I've had to sing in languages like
Russian and Portuguese, and although it's not IPA or the language
itself, it helps me sing in the language properly because the phonetic
sounds make sense to me.  For example, in a song I sang in Russian
about a year ago, there was a word that sounded like vwee.  It was not
spelled that way in Russian at all, but spelling it V, W, E, E helped
me get the pronunciation correct as I was singing.  The advantage of
this system is that you can also use the spelling to make other notes
for you.  E.G, if the director wants a harder T sound, I might use two
Ts in my word instead of just one.  Again, it might not be as
practical if he's vocal performance, but it has been useful to me.

--
Kaiti