[Menvi-discuss] need help with brahms requiem

Gillespie, Jeffrey jgillesp at butler.edu
Tue Feb 26 05:25:07 UTC 2013

Hi:

I am a college music professor who is sighted.  Here is my recommendation.  First, do not drop the course.  This is an opportunity for you to help teach your director how to accommodate the needs of students.  you say that your director has to tell you the letter of where you are, but the other choir members do not have letter numbers so they are confused.  If everyone in the choir knows that you have special letter numbers and they don't, then no one should be confused.  They need to understand.  It sounds like the whole choir needs to be aware of what the situation is.  It's really not complicated.

Try talking to the director yourself, without the disabiity coordinator present at first.  If after this discussion, you still don't get what you need, then bring in the disability coordinator.  I wouldn't wait long on this, however.  Tell the director what you need, or what you are missing right now.  Allow the director to respond or to come up with some ideas to help you.  If he or she is willing to make some changes, then hold that director accountable.  Give the director just a few days to start accommodating better.  Then keep communicating with the director as the class progresses.

Jeff Gillespie