[Menvi-discuss] guitar tabs

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 05:35:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

What I used to do when I was just starting guitar on my own and
wanting to play popular songs was just search for the chords.  The
tabs I found online were more visual than anything and the chords were
more text-based so I could sit with my guitar in position and just
arrow up and down the page to read the chords.  The one problem is
that you sometimes have to check if the M's are upper or lowercase to
make sure you're supposed to play major or minor, but if you want to
experiment with tabs I'd suggest doing this instead, plus it actually
gives you chords so you can see how the parts and patterns of the song
fit together from a theoretical standpoint.  As was pointed out
though, a lot of the time these are incorrect.  They're fine for
someone who just needs to play anything in order to learn and get
fluent switching chords, which is what I consider the benefit I got
out of doing this to be, but they will most likely have to be tweaked
later.

Braille tabs don't exist.  I guess you could use numbers and finger
symbols from braille music to create a crude system of some sort if
you really wanted to, but with the guitar music that is already out it
wouldn't make much sense to do that because the guitar notation gives
so much more information.

--
Kaiti