[Menvi-discuss] Ratio of readingVSlisteningwhenlearningvocalmusic?

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:08:08 UTC 2013

Hello,
It is a personal choice, but that sounds about right on the music load. I am
a little concerned about getting a full libretto for Wagner or any large
Opera. I think I may need to figure something out that would be more
efficient in the long run. Bryn Terfel always comments how he writes
everything he is told by his directors down in his scores so when he goes
back to relearn a part, he has some idea of staging for that character and
thoughts for that character right there.
That would just be impractical for Braille. The first 7 scenes for the
Marriage of Figaro are around 35 pages of Braille for just Figaro's part.
I'm in a show now where the first scene is about one page of print for me to
describe what I'm doing. This would be like 3 pages in Braille. There is no
way using the required system of reading and writing in the score will work.
I'm going to see Laurie Rubin tomorrow, so I'll try to ask her what she does
as a professional.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs