[Menvi-discuss] Ratio of reading VS listening when learning vocalmusic?

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 19:22:04 UTC 2013

Speaking as someone who is also knew to braille music, here are
my thoughts:

I use recordings exclusively for solo work.  I have perfect
pitch, so memorizing note values isn't problematic without a
scorwh.  My coach and I go over any important but ambiguous
dynamic markings, rhythm patterns or tempi before
I work in a lesson.

For choir, I would recommend trying to find a recording of the
song if possible (unless it's knew.) Something that has helped
me--particularly as I am bad at reading braille rhythms--is to
read along with a recording, gradually taking the recording away
and using the score as your reference.  It also helps to memorize
the lyrics first, so that you can concentrate your energy on the
notes.  If you have a coach and are finding it especially
difficult, you might ask if you can work on choral music in your
coaching time.  If not, you might try recording rehearsals.  Or,
if you want to spend more time, you can devote a lot of time to
just working out the score manually.  I use a combination of all
of these methods.
Kelby